Three brilliant Missourians
Smithsonian American Art Museum
National Portrait Gallery
American Art and the Portrait Gallery share one building - a museum twofer. The content alternates wings throughout the three story building.
- It's fun to see some of the more famous presidential portraits, as well as some quirky ones.
- The portrait gallery also features some amazing rotating exhibits. Right now there is a bunch of photo-realist portraits that are pretty outstanding.
- The American Art portion is much better than I anticipated. You can see great works by Americans Georgia O'Keeffe, John Singer Sargent, Thomas Hart Benton (big up Missouri!), and Andy Warhol.
- Andy Warhol screen printed a bunch of stuff.
- In short this a museum that is better than expected. It's several blocks off of the mall, but it's just far enough that the crowds are more manageable.
Electronic Superhighway - one of the museum's iconic pieces.
George H. W. Bush playing horseshoes.