Saturday, January 23, 2010

Eating Out - Iranian

Once again, I forgot our camera.

Kabob Bazaar (Iranian/Persian) - January 22

This is a place I've been excited to try since I found out we were moving to DC. A good friend from grad school and current coworker has been telling me about this place for a couple of years now. He vehemently claims it's the best Iranian food you can get at any restaurant (I should mention that his parents are Iranian, and they also vouch for the place). Also, he likes to talk about the former revolutionaries who hang out there and a waitress that recognized him after having moved away from DC for seven years. We've had a lot of kabobs at fairly generic Turkish, Greek, and Middle Eastern places in the past, so we thought we had a good idea of what was coming. However, we were completely blown away.

Observations
  • This place was also incredibly cheap. 1 appetizer, 1 desert, 3 entrees all for about $50. Not bad for a Friday night on the town.
  • I could have made a meal of just the bread and must-o moseer dip.
  • We all fought over the onions on Kathryn's shish kabob.
  • I really messed up by ordering us the baghlava desert. My friend quickly noted that we should have had the rice pudding. The only problem is that each of us had just eaten about a pound of rice.
  • Speaking of the rice, they also bring out big chunks of rice that fries on the side of the pot while cooking. Wow!
  • Finally had a chance to walk around Arlington after dinner. It seemed like a pretty nice area, and if you judge a neighborhood by the number of Irish bars that were clearly ordered from those Irish bar catalogs, then that's the neighborhood for you. Well, if you like those kind of places. (Side note: I was thinking of opening one of those bars, but it's like ironically Irish. I would name it "Patty McWhatever's" or "John O'Lame's" I don't know if people would really get the concept of an auteur bar.)

No comments:

Post a Comment