Kathryn (left) and an Asian elephant (right)
Smithsonian National Zoological Park
Over the next year, I'm going to visit every Smithsonian in the metro area. There's like 17 of them. Kathryn doesn't know about this plan until she reads it here, so I might be going it alone to some of them (like the both Air and Space museums). Anyway, on to the zoo....
- The weather was great this weekend, and there is no better place to spend a nice day than the zoo. Plus, we haven't been back since Christmas, so we were do for a visit.
- There was a lot of construction going on, so there were a number of closed exhibits. We are looking forward to the new elephant habitat and finally getting to see the bears.
- We always check the progress of the baby gorilla who is now moving around pretty independently and appears to like carrots.
- A free zoo brings out all types of people - all types.
- We decided to act like grown ups and finally joined the Friends of the National Zoo. Pretty excited about the magazine. And if you come to the zoo with us, I can hook you up with free cookies.
Even the tigers were up moving around.