Dad and I on the double decker bus.
My dad will register as our first official over night guest. Over the course of his five night stay, we were able to squeeze in most of the major DC highlights. We were really lucky to get our best stretch of weather in the district since we moved here.
- Dad took the Amtrak out here, surprisingly without major problems or interruptions.
- First night we went to Bethesda Crab House for the complete Maryland feast.
- We got two-day passes for a double decker tour bus (Open Top Tours) which picks up just a block from our house. It was a great way to see all the major points of interest.
- The places we hopped off the first day: Lincoln Memorial, Vietnam and Korean War Memorials, National Archives (still my favorite museum in DC)
- The second day we went to Ford's Theater - a surprisingly good small museum.
- Took dad to his first Vietnamese restaurant
- Went to El Pollo Rico for Peruvian chicken, of course
- My dad discovered the Smithsonian's American Indian Museum and its outstanding native American themed food court (more on that in a future post). He went on his own, and then took me back the next day.
- Dad and I also went to the National Botanic Garden. It was nice and compact with plenty of pretty flowers.
- We saw Michael Douglas standing out front of the Four Seasons in Georgetown.
Kathryn and I at the reflecting pool.