Monday, July 19, 2010

Eating Out - Malaysian

Meat on a stick - great food across all cuisines.

Malaysia Kopitiam (Malaysian)

Like most of America, Kathryn and I have recently become obsessed with coupons generally, and the website Groupon more specifically. Malaysia Kopitiam was a Groupon purchase ($30 of food for $15 if I remember right).

Neither of us have ever had Malaysian food before, so we didn't really know what to expect. In fact, neither of us really knew exactly where Malaysia was (I'll admit that I thought it was an island). After a quick Google image search, it makes sense that Malaysian food is very similar to Thai food, with a bit of South Asian/Indian influence.

Observations
  • I had no idea what to get, so I ordered what the waitress told me to get. This system usually works.
  • We split the roti canai appetizer - a crepe served with a bowl of chicken and potato curry. We're off to a good start here.
  • I can't remember the name of Kathryn's dish but it was spicy salt shrimp with jicama. She really liked it, but I can't understand why.
  • I had this satay sampler with four kinds of meat. Ranked from best to worst: chicken, lamb, beef, and pork. It was served with coconut rice and achar, a sort of sweet and cold pickled cabbage dish, similar to kimchi. Pretty good, but not great.
  • For desert we split the Malaysian sweet crispy crepe. It was essentially the same crepe from our appetizer except that it was filled with a sweet creamy goo. It was one of the few foods that actually gets better as you eat more.
  • In addition to the paper menu, Malaysia Kopitiam has a binder with photos of all the foods. I've never seen this trick before, and it was very helpful.
  • I left thinking that I don't need to return, but I would be willing if someone else wanted me to go. Kathryn agrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment