Saturday, September 4, 2010

Eating Out - Food Trucks

I hope you can forgive me because this post might be deceptive. It's a two-fer, but the two food trucks I visited were on different days. I've just been lazy about updates. Ahhhh... I feel better now that I have that off my chest.

Pizza in a box.
DC Slices (Pizza)

DC Slices is a mobile pizza truck that is usually parked near my office on Fridays, which Slices calls Farragut Funday. The Bangles be damned, Friday is also my fun day.

Observations
  • DC Slices serves pizza that is very similar to New York style, giant hand tossed slices that are easiest to eat when you fold them in half.
  • They usually offer about five flavors. I was pretty hungry, so I went with one slice of sausage and onion (the best!) and one slice of veggie. I wish the former had bacon (my all time favorite pizza, the S.O.B.) and the latter had broccoli, but that's probably because I miss St. Louis' Cecil Whitaker's. (Kathryn does not!)
  • You can get a slice of pizza and a soda for $5, an unbeatable deal in Farragut/DuPont. Highly recommended.



Curbside Cupcakes (Cupcakes)

Curbside Cupcakes represents either a smooth transition from one culinary trend to the next, or an annoying combination of two despised food fads. It's up to you, but I feel pretty mixed.

Observations
  • Curbside was parked right outside of my building the other day, so I ran down to pick up a sampling to take home to Kathryn. We have this thing where we cut two cupcakes in half and trade so we can try both flavors. Here's the four I picked up: carrot cake, strawberry, peanut butter, and "the black cupcake" (milk chocolate with dark chocolate icing).
  • Here's how we rank the flavors: strawberry > black > carrot > peanut butter
  • The cupcakes are bit smaller than the industry standards Georgetown and Cakelove and not quite as tasty. In fact, here's how we rate the cupcake joints so far: Georgetown > Cakelove > Curbside = Hello, Cupcake > Red Velvet.
  • The cupcakes were tasty, but we don't feel the need to get them again.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by, we are glad you enjoyed your slices!

    ReplyDelete