A little bit of West Lafayette in DC.
Ted's Bulletin (New American)
This last weekend we had the chance to check out Ted's Bulletin in Capitol Hill. The restaurant fills up fairly easily, but we went squeezed right in at 5:30. They sell senior citizen favorites like meat loaf and chicken fried steak, so I would argue it's a more natural time to eat there.
- Our friends Tani and Tom picked out Ted's for our pregame dinner. It was actually before a soccer game, not "pregame" as in drinking, to clarify for all our early 20-something readers.
- One of the attractions of Ted's Bulletin is the selection of "Adult Milkshakes." Tom had a superb White Russian (a Caucasian, Jacky), and I had the deceptively boozy Grasshopper.
- I guess "New" means lots of seasoning and spices for traditionally bland food. Kathryn's chicken fried steak was smothered in a very herby gravy.
- I was able to track down an old Indiana favorite in DC - the peanut butter cheeseburger! The burger was as good as any I've ever had in West Lafayette. The highlight was the curry tomato dipping sauce. Kathryn probably had as many of my fries as I did.
- All of the food was so good that the girls were clawing at our food when Tom and I were hurting from the giant, creamy milkshakes.
"It's basically an upscale Cracker Barrel" Tom